12.10.2011

Training Camp,Tucson AZ


As I'm sitting here trying to decide how to cram in all I did this past week into one blog post, I realized it's probably more important to talk about what I set out to accomplish.  Last Tuesday, I started my journey down to Tucson for a training camp with 8 girls I had never met and Cliff English, one of the most accomplished triathlon coaches on the planet!  We were all brought together due to the generous sponsorship of Jim Whitler, a triathlete, triathlon groupie, great friend and the most humble man I've met.
In preparing for the trip, I came up with a lot of less significant training goals, and one huge personal goal of being my true self.  To not be afraid of what people think of me and to not be afraid to fail at workouts, no matter what, I was going to be ME thru it all and see what happens.
Turns out, I can't remember having so much fun!  There are a few downsides, of course, like the painful reminder that when I try to be funny, it hardly ever comes out right...which can be kind of awkward.  So, I'm awkward, big deal.  
As I listened to the other girls and what their journey has been like and where their path is headed, I couldn't help but reflect on all the lesson I thought I had fully learned about living an authentic life, that's authentically me.  It took stepping back for a few days to realize that I've been living with my head in the sand!  What I didn't know I needed was perspective.  I have not been living life on my terms, and I am holding myself wholly accountable.
So far my terms are as follows:
Never give up on your dreams, achieve them.
Surround yourself with people that bring out the best in you.
Don't be afraid of what you are capable of.
Push yourself to see if you will actually fail.
Never stop growing.
Train with people faster than you.
Should I fail, I will be there to pick myself back up.  I will be my own best friend.
Be present.
Be an example.
Believe.
Those are pretty big terms, I'm ok with it.
Here's to being more of me and to you being more of YOU!







No comments:

Post a Comment