1.19.2012

Acceptance or denial?

As I looked at myself in the mirror today, I thought of a blog post I had recently read about how what we see in the mirror can sometimes be a filmy version of the truth.  Blog post here: (http://www.beautifulbodybistro.com/).


When I look in the mirror all I see are "thunder thighs". Over the past few years, I've learned to appreciate my legs because they allow me to do the things that I LOVE to do - and accepted that if they need to be "big" to do that, so be it. It didn't ever dawn on me that my thighs probably aren't that big and what I see in the mirror isn't the truth. There in lies the question, had I accepted my body for what it was or am I in denial that what I see isn't the truth. For the past week or so, I have tried really hard to see myself clearly.

From what I can tell, my legs and the rest of my body are far from "thunderous"...to say the least! The truth is that I rarely look at any part of myself clearly...my legs were just the most obvious. Since I've acknowledged this truth, I feel that I've faced and conquered a huge fear of mine - if I looked at myself truthfully, would I like what I saw? If I didn't like what I saw, how would I expect anyone else to like it either? Facing myself fully and accepting myself clearly will allow me to accept the acceptance of others.

Thank you to everyone who has accepted what I have been so afraid to face. I couldn't have done this without you!

No comments:

Post a Comment